Whiz Kid Woes

Faisal's Personal Blog

Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Ufone SMS facility!

I have had this idea for quite a while now and finally I've implemented first phase of it. I hope this is not against the law or anything! ;)

We all love the GPRS facility that Ufone provides and lucky for us its so inexpensive! 1MB costs only Rs. 15. Now, if you look at the SMS charges, my gosh, they are Rs. 2.5/SMS. I always wanted to create a WEB->SMS gateway for myself and now I've succesfully done that. The idea is that you logon to my website using a any wap-enabled cellphone/PDA:
http://nasim.org/uf/

All you have to do is enter the phone number (ufones only! okay thats that catch!) and put in the message! Away we go... it's sent through Ufone's gateway as an SMS! Now for some mathematics. Total size of entire transaction seems to be 1KB in all. If you good at elemetary maths, you can easily figure that an SMS costed just Rs. 0.02. 2 paisas, thats nothing! ;)

I'm going to chop it down even further! How you ask? AHhh.... recently I've been getting my hands dirty with J2ME. So I'll write a java application for my cell phone which would chop down another 700 bytes off the transaction. So I'll spend about only 100B or so on a single sms (of course assuming that the message itself is small hehe!). Now, that'd cost me a massive Rs. 0.002!

Thats almost FREE sms! :) Hooray!

I'll put the java app for download somewhere perhaps! Don't worry I'll post a blog!

2 Comments:

  • At 7:21 PM, Blogger Whiz Kid said…

    As soon as I get some free time! ;)

    Thanks for dropping your comments!

     
  • At 10:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your math is a bit weak I think :P Actually Ufone charges in terms of packets, and the smallest possible packet is 64kb, which costs 0.94 rs. So you are charged in chunks of 64kb. That means even if you make a 1KB download, you are charged for 64KB. Anyway, nice work you've got going over here. I'll work with you sometime.

    Khurram Farooq
    khurramfarooq@gmail.com
    khurramfarooq.blogspot.com

     

Post a Comment

<< Home