Whiz Kid Woes

Faisal's Personal Blog

Saturday, May 07, 2005

Weight Lifting

We are having sports week in the university! I participated in Squash competition earlier and I lost the BEST OF 3 by 2-10 and 6-10. It was about 2.5 years since I had played squash! Just for fun, I wanted to test my strength in the weight lifting competition. We have a programming competition planned day after tomorrow as well and I'm the chief organizer for it! We had to set up all the computers today because tomorrow would be Sunday and Monday is the competition! I told my friends what to do and did initial setup. The gym is pretty far away from that lab so I had to run back and forth from the gym to the lab. I did that for about 2 or 3 times. Finally I gave my number to a friend and asked him to let me know when its my turn! My turn came at about 5:30PM! We had about 14 contestants in my category. There were two rounds of the competition, the first one was pull and jerk round and the second was the snatch round. You get three three tries in jerk and lift so I did 55kg, 62kgs and I could not do 66kgs. My best score 62kgs was counted. Next was snatch, I did 55kg first, then I tried 60kgs twice and I couldn't lift 60kgs. So my total was 62+55. I got 5th position! The 4th position was 0.5kg more than me and the 3rd was 1kg more than me. Even the second one was not far off! The gold guy from Electrical department was super strong! He did 70kgs in jerk and lift and 60kgs in snatch. It was a great experience, I've been out of gym for almost an year now! Next year would be cool! Faisal Mehmood from BE CIS (Batch 2001-2002) was a great help thoughout the tournament and he cheered up all the CIS guys from third year and second year! He settled for a bronze, in the end.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:48 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    You're bringing gold in weight-lifting to CIS next year, start preparin!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home