Whiz Kid Woes

Faisal's Personal Blog

Thursday, June 17, 2004

PDC 3rd day

The day wasn't as cool as the 2nd day. BizTalk was pretty nice, memory management was okay and C# Generics was a push!

The funniest thing happened in the last session when they announced that they'll be giving away X-Boxes and return tickets to *developers* as a gift or whatever through a raffle-draw. Firstly, we're developers! It would have been much nicer to have received a VS.NET 2003 original copy or something instead of a X-Box or a Dubai return trip. Moreover, the raffle draw idea was totally sick! Come on, 1500 developers around and all Microsoft people couldn't devise a simple program to do a randomized draw through PC! Almost half the crowd would make such a simple program in just 10 minutes right there! They had PCs connected to the large projectors, that was not an issue.

It was a bit disappointing, really!

2 Comments:

  • At 12:37 PM, Blogger Whiz Kid said…

    The question is why'd they give away plane tickets to developers? Surely, professionals wouldn't want to take time off their jobs to enjoy a 2 day trip at Serena, Islamabad. You cannot generate a truely random number, alright... that is a a well known fact but they are many ways to make it approximately random if you've seen the entropy gathering daemon working on linux or tried generating a SSL cert through command line. I was hoping they'd show the source code there for the developers and then do that random draw right through the computer!

    The problem with that kind of draw was that I didn't even know if my number was in that box or not. Can you believe that a number came out twice? People had probably left or something... or maybe they didn't attend. They did more draws and the same number came out again. Woosh! Tell that to my probablity and stats teacher.

    It was really a pretty cool event! Few speakers weren't really up to the mark. Speakers like Mr. Rafal stole the show! I'm running my local LAN on IPv6 already! ;)

     
  • At 1:02 PM, Blogger Whiz Kid said…

    By the way, my idea of Heaven trip is a trip from my university to my home (it turns to a Hell-trip is there is no electricity!). I've been to the far-side of the world! Just human, whatever environment... I'll adapt! Well, that makes me a Borg doesn't it? :p

     

Post a Comment

<< Home