Whiz Kid Woes

Faisal's Personal Blog

Saturday, June 19, 2004

WhizSMS Java App!

Finally! I've worked it out. I've made my first J2ME application which is actually a frontend for my WAP-based WhizSMS thing, it still lives here: http://nasim.org/mobile/sms/

Okay, here's how you install the Java app on your cell phone:
Go to: http://nasim.org/mobile/download.wml
click on 'WhizSMS' and it asks you for download. Just hit okay and it'll download the 3KB application on your cell and thats it! Start sending cheap SMS! :)

I've got a Nokia 6100, which offers me some cool options. For instance, I went to Applications and then to WhizSMS and I set WebAccess to 'Yes', now I don't get a confirmation each each time the application would try to access a URL. There is also a Update Version option where I can automatically update the application, if an update is available of course. (New Idea: I'll pass along the current version to the SMS software on my server, which will determine if the user is using the latest version. If its an older version, a message will be appended that he should upgrade.)

Another cool feature I'd like to mention here is that you can lookup a phone number from your phone directory as well. Just go to the phone number box, go to EDIT and go to Search and you get your phone directory for easy lookup.

Please add comments if you like the service or if you had any difficulty downloading or using the software.

Remember, there are no connection charges for GPRS :)

Happy messaging! Here are two snapshots for you, it looks much better in my Nokia!

3 Comments:

  • At 2:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    u said tht 'All you have to do is enter the phone number (ufones only! okay thats that catch!) '..Why this thing cant work on any other service because i dont see anything which restricts it. The other phone recieves the message as an SMS right ..so why is it necessary tht other phone shud be of the UFone or a phone with GPRS.

     
  • At 2:35 PM, Blogger Whiz Kid said…

    The idea is to send cheap SMS, you can do that over GPRS. So if you had GPRS in mobilink, you'd be able to send cheap SMS from there as well. Currently you can send SMS from any WAP-enabled phone (it needs to be able to access a WML page too! hehe!) to Ufone users using that service. Only ufone is there because ufone's gateway was simple, mobilink is a little tricky. I'll be working soon to figure out a way to send mobile messages to Mobilink too. That way, you'll be able to send SMS messages from any gprs-based phone to either ufone/mobilink. InshaAllah!

     
  • At 1:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I downloaded this application on my X-100 samsung.
    I want to ask that. Is there is any confermation screen.
    Tell me that is mobile first connect with wap to send sms.

    Thanks

     

Post a Comment

<< Home